Monday, November 02, 2009

Lynn visits Gatineau for the Rendez-vous International de la Bande Dessinée

Lynn Johnston went to the Rendez-vous International de la BD (bande dessinée=comic strip) de Gatineau Quebec. As usual I will quote the parts on which I want to comment:

I was asked to participate as a guest and as a guest speaker recently at the Rendez-vous International de la BD (bande dessinée=comic strip) de Gatineau Quebec. (whew!) This is an annual gathering of Quebec cartoonists, many of whom are well known illustrators, graphic novelists, animators and magazine artists. I was delighted to be in the midst of a serious, talented and accomplished group of people who are well known and well respected in the province of Quebec.

And then after making this statement the number of illustrators Lynn Johnston mentions is 0.

It seems this is one place in North America where cartooning really IS considered art- and there is even a university course dedicated to this art form!

That is, aside from the programs at Brigham Young University , Westwood College Southwestern College , Collins College, Ferris State University, University of Southern California and the Rochester Institute of Technology

There was a strike going on outside the Canadian Museum of Civilization, where the “BD” was held, and visitors were uncomfortable crossing the picket line, as were we.

Uncomfortable, but not so uncomfortable as to refuse to do it and give up that money. This is a news article talking about the strike.

We had an hour to draw (on a 4X6 piece of suspended canvas) an image of ourselves at the age of ten.

Take a look at the pictures in the link and see if you can spot the one of Lynn at age 10.

After 5 days, I felt like one of the guys and was even sputtering some phrases in my high school French. It's times like this I so regret being a jerk in school and refusing to learn when I had the chance.

A regular theme with Elly Patterson.

I’ve gotta tell you what happened with Andie... She snores, now. She told me so, but I figured it would be just a fweep or a snozz...but she snores like a TRAIN!!! I tried for awhile to manage. I gently touched her side and asked her to roll over, but by 1am, I was getting desperate. I pushed Kleenex into my ears, put a pillow on my head, but I still couldn't sleep. Around 2am I was going crazy. I shoved her and said- “Andie! You've gotta shut up!!! “ She snorted, apologized and went into the can. For a LONG time. I fell asleep. About an hour later, I woke up and she was not in the room. She was nowhere to be found and all her stuff was still there! Well...she had gone down into the lobby, wearing her blue flannel jammies (covered in moons and stars) and her red fuzzy socks, carrying a pillow. She asked the night clerk to let her sleep on a couch in the lobby, but was refused. She asked to sleep on a bench in the gym, but the gym opened at 6am. After some discussion about where she could stay for the night, she was given a small room that's only used for emergency overflow for 60 bucks. Bonzai!! Next morning, she wandered back to my room to use her toothbrush and get dressed. When she told me where she'd gone, I laughed so hard! Stories like this have made our friendship a constant adventure and I'll love her for life!!!

Andie’s reaction is fairly extreme if she resorted to leaving the room, especially the part where she went to the can for a long time before making this trek to the hotel lobby to find another place to sleep. Somehow, I have the feeling that Andie does not find this story as funny as Lynn does.

Well, that topped off my week in Gatineau. I have just come home from the IFOA- The International Festival of Authors at Harbourfront in Toronto.

Here is the reference to that event

By having a children’s book on the market, I now have the challenge of talking to a much more critical crew! It went well- which means , once again I was talking to a room full of cartoonists and was able to just speak from the heart.

I think I missed a transition there. She went from more critical to treating them just like she did at the other festival.

This ends my book related commitments for 2009. I don’t know if I’ll do any book touring next year- there MAY not be another book for awhile…but the fun of being with book people is almost enough to make one want to start working on something new. Lynn J.

This is a lot less enthusiastic about a next book than Lynn Johnston has been in prior interviews where she said that she and Beth Cruikshank were definitely working on one. Maybe those HarperCollins Children’s Book editors have (a) looked at the sales of the last book or (b) heard about the way Lynn Johnston crucified them in public on her previous engagements doing publicity to sell the book.

4 Comments:

Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

Maybe those HarperCollins Children’s Book editors have (a) looked at the sales of the last book or (b) heard about the way Lynn Johnston crucified them in public on her previous engagements doing publicity to sell the book.

I'd say a little of both; it's bad enough that the thing tanked without her dissing them as Strombo and Marci Ien look on in bemusement.

10:06 PM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Take a look at the pictures in the link and see if you can spot the one of Lynn at age 10.

Yes, I wondered why we didn't get a close-up of Lynn's canvas. The one we see her drawing on belongs to a board wishing the strip Asterix a happy 50th birthday.

7:02 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Maybe she thinks at age 10 she looked like Asterix.

2:11 PM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Maybe she thinks at age 10 she looked like Asterix.

Maybe she did. :)

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home