Monday, June 01, 2009

Unexplained Bathroom Humour

My daughter did the same as Lawrence Poirier in today’s new-run of For Better or For Worse. We were on a road trip. She needed to go to a restroom as small children often do, immediately with no advance notice. We were in the middle of west Texas where there were few rest stops. We stopped at the first one available and after stopping there, my daughter declared that the rest room at the gas station where we stopped was too dirty for her to use. I couldn’t believe it. Personally, if I am in pain needing to use the restroom, it doesn’t matter how dirty that restroom is. However, my daughter was little and she refused to go, no matter how much we tried to coax her into it. So, it was back on the road to find another restroom for her to use, one that would meet her cleanliness standard. That happened with my daughter one time, so I can actually relate to Lawrence’s plight to a certain degree.

Of course, there are other degrees which don’t make much sense. This isn't an unfamiliar bathroom where Lawrence has never been before. Lawrence has been shown over at the Patterson’s house several times, so he should be very familiar with their bathroom. We have seen the Patterson bath room on a number of occasions, and I cannot imagine Elly Patterson keeps the place so filthy that Lawrence would refuse to use it for that reason. In other words, I have no idea why Lawrence would refuse to use the bathroom at the Patterson house.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, what did Elly and Connie do between leaving the restaurant and now? They seem to have just gotten home. If Michael's precocious "middle of the night" phrase is to be believed, there are hours unaccounted for.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Also, what did Elly and Connie do between leaving the restaurant and now?

And once again there's the unexplored and likely unintentional les-yay vibe.

I prefer to think that Mike has just said it's the middle of the night because Lawrence woke him up and it was still dark outside, when in fact it's just 9.30 PM.

11:38 PM  
Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

He seems to be doing it so that he can disrupt Elly's life; that's because as a child, he has to be a burden and an annoyance. He also has to disrupt Connie's trying to find a mayyyyuuuunnnn.

2:18 AM  
Anonymous Nav said...

Ugh, shortening "emergency" into that still doesn't mean it's anything that a child would ever, ever say. Come on, Lynn. I don't have kids and haven't spent time around kids since I was one, and even I know that!

6:13 AM  
Blogger howard said...

clio_1,

Also, what did Elly and Connie do between leaving the restaurant and now? They seem to have just gotten home. If Michael's precocious "middle of the night" phrase is to be believed, there are hours unaccounted for.-

I actually have an answer for this one. With the new-run, Lynn expanded the story out to be not just dinner, but also drinks and a show. Why she chose to add this to the evening without showing Connie and Elly having the drinks and a show part, I do not know. Well, actually I do. Anything she puts in that is not already in reprints takes away from her vacation time. As we have seen in today’s strip, Lynn much prefers potty humour to writing something as awkward and strange as Elly being happy or enjoying herself.

7:12 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Nav,

Ugh, shortening "emergency" into that still doesn't mean it's anything that a child would ever, ever say. Come on, Lynn. I don't have kids and haven't spent time around kids since I was one, and even I know that!-

I often think that Lynn’s method of writing dialogue for kids is to write what she would say and then put in apostrophes. If she had, let’s say, written a children’s book, then she might have heard something along the lines of “Use these words which are in the vocabulary list of children.” When she wrote to me and said Beth Cruikshank was responsible for writing Farley Follows His Nose, I believe her, and not the credit on the book cover.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Whither updates?

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home