Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter eggs can damage your dog

It took very little effort to find information on this subject. Here is one article and here is another one. Based on this information, the scene following the one where the Pattersons come home and find Farley with a gurgling stomach and apparently unable to stand up should be followed by a scene of the Pattersons racing to get Farley to a veterinarian. I expect in the Coffee Talk section of the For Better or For Worse website, we will get the usual round of letters from readers addressing the issue on the behalf of the dogs of the world and chiding Lynn Johnston for the second instance of dog abuse in a week (the first being last Sunday where Elly booted Farley out the door after he did his business on the carpet). This will be followed by a number of readers chiding the dog lovers for taking a comic strip too seriously and recounting stories of how they feed their dogs Easter eggs every Easter and none of them have died from it.

As for me, I find it remarkable that Lynn Johnston seems to be unable to do a new-run Farley strip that does not result in the dog being abused in some way. Here is the list of all the new-runs with Farley this year:

1-10-2009 – Mike gets Farley to drink Frank (Fred?) the fish’s fish tank water.

1-19-2009 – Mike puts hair oil onto Farley to give him a Mohawk.

2-5-2009 – Michael and Lawrence sit on top of Farley’s body until he loses consciousness.

2-15-2009 – Lizzie pulls out some of Farley’s hair using sticky sucker material on her mouth and hands, while Farley is distracted by the sucker.

2-27-2009 – After Lizzie tries to eat Farley’s food, Elly puts the food where Farley can’t get it.

2-28-2009 – Lizzie throws toys at Farley and when he protests, Elly blames him for waking up Lizzie.

3-17-2009 – Farley is ignored by the Pattersons

3-27-2009 – Farley is ignored by the Pattersons

4-5-2009 – Elly boots Farley out of the house

On the other hand, all this Farley abuse makes me really wonder how many moments of Farley abuse there will be in the upcoming children’s book featuring Farley. Is it possible, that Lynn’s Johnston’s hatred of men we have seen amply demonstrated in the new-run strips negative portrayal of Mike, John, Ted McCaulay and Pete Landry; has been transferred to include all males, even Farley? I hope not, but now I am beginning to wonder.

On a personal note: My step father-in-law informed us today that my mother-in-law is started to get her colour back and they are thinking about weaning her off the ventilator in the next few days. We were relieved to hear that. However, the hospital officials warned him that she’s going to be in the hospital for awhile. Thanks again for any prayers you are sending her way.

4 Comments:

Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

howard,

Judging from all the CRUNCH-GRUNCH-MUNCHING Farley is doing and the egg shells he left in his wake, I assumed that the Pattersons hard-boiled a bunch of eggs and left them for their kids to find. Elly, it seems to me, would rather not put chocolate eggs out. This, sadly, is not out of concern for Farley's safety, though. It's simply because thinking of all that chocolate makes her feel fat.

As for your mother-in-law, that's great news. I hope she's up and around again soon.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

I'm just impressed by Farley's ability to get out of a bathtub which seems almost as deep as he is high. I've never had a dog, so can't say whether or not hopping in and out of an empty bathtub to eat a hard-boiled egg is typical puppy behaviour, not that I would expect FOOB to represent typical behaviour of anything: puppies, kids, parents, firemen, dentists...

I hope your mother-in-law continues to improve.

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not so sure it's that Lynn hates males. I mean, she does, but she also hates a very large portion of females -- she makes Elly look like a fool on a regular basis, Connie is pathetic and desperate, Liz is (literally, now) infantalized, and then there's Evil Therese and Perfect Anthony. Also, the way Shimsaa was treated showed Lynn didn't like cats, either. I remember thinking that Farley was a particularly stupid dog back when I read the Sunday strips and had a dog, too. I tend to think the entire strip is just bitter and nasty about everyone.

I also hope your mother-in-law gets better soon.

1:26 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Good news about your mother-in-law, howtheduck. Please keep us posted.

Like dc2, I interpreted these as actual eggs (hence the grunching). Am I the only one who found it disturbing that one of the eggs was left in the bathtub drain? I don't care how good you are about cleaning--the bathtub drain is always gross. Ick.

4:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home