Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Holiday Break

Tomorrow I am headed out for Texas to spend some time with my wife’s relatives and my kid’s cousins. Unfortunately, the relative with whom we are staying has virtually no computer access, so the Howard Bunt Blog will have no new entries for a week. I am deeply disappointed that I will not get to comment on what obviously appears to be Anthony’s proposal to Elizabeth. However I can see the moment now:

{Anthony pulls the car over to the side of the road.}
Elizabeth: Is there something wrong?
Anthony: Yes, Elizabeth. There’s something wrong…something wrong with my life, if it’s without you.
Elizabeth: Oh my goodness. I had hoped and dreamed this moment would come, but I never imagined it would be like this.
Anthony: Yes, Elizabeth. I didn’t imagine it would be like this either, but I know I couldn’t live one more moment without putting this ring on your finger.
Elizabeth: Oh, Anthony. This is so romantic. Here we are on the side of the road, with cars whizzing by us, and my brain is whizzing too. I can’t believe you’re asking me to marry you.
Anthony: Well, actually I haven’t asked yet, but here it comes: Will you marry me Elizabeth Patterson?
Elizabeth: Yes. Yes. All my patience has finally paid off. Your ring on my finger, passing traffic honking at us. If this is what love is, I’m loving it.
Anthony: Not "is this what love is", this is what “engagement” is.
Elizabeth: Oh, Anthony. You say the sweetest things.
Françoise: Daddy, is everything over?
Anthony: Yes, Francie. Elizabeth said she would marry me.
Françoise: OK. I’m going back to sleep then.
Anthony: I knew it would be like this with you. Thérèse made me take her out to an expensive restaurant to propose to her. I knew I could just ask you on the side of the road.
Elizabeth: I’ve gone roadside, and I’m loving it.
Both: {Laugh}

Note to aprilp_katje. For April’s Real Blog, feel free to have fun with the Jeremy / April romance as much as you like.

7 Comments:

Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

Oh, LORD!! We've both been reading this strip for far too long. Your made-up propsal sounds too much like what we'll actually see. I can't see how Lynn will make it glurgier but I have faith that she'll try.

3:42 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

LOL, agreed--the wooden dialogue seem frighteningly possible.

Hope you and your family have a great trip--we'll miss you. :)

5:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it just me, or does Anthony have a terrified and melancholy look on his face? I guess the prospect of having to share your life with Liz is pretty daunting.

Gran: What are you thinking?

Liz: The walls in your house are white? Isn't it funny how "white" sounds like "wife?"

Gran: That's why we're made for each other. Paul and Therese weren't really White. Paul was a half-breed and Therese was, well, French instead of English.

Liz: That light in your ceiling fan is bright. Isn't it funny how "light" and "bright" rhyme?

Gran: Yeah, ha ha! You are the bright light in my life. Marry me.

Liz: Sure. Whatever. Hey, wasn't there some pet monkey with you?

Gran: Huh? Oh yeah, Francie. I put her in her cage . . . er, I mean, play area.

Or maybe he's planning a murder-suicide. I'm hoping against hope for that, as long as he drops Francois off at her mom's first.

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How dare anyone out there make fun of Liz after all she's been through. SOB...

Her boyfriend turned out to be a cheater. SOB...

She's a HUMAN!!!! SOB. SOB.

And all you do is write a bunch of crap about her. SOB. SOB. SOB...

LEAVE ELIZABETH ALONE!

Anon NYC

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynn Johnston subbed out her work in panel 4 of the 12/28 strip. She resembles Canadians in South Park.

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like Grandpa Jim has entered the end game.

6:28 PM  
Blogger DreadedCandiru2 said...

Not that we'll see it. It looks as if we'll ring in the new year with the Martian and the Continental.

3:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home