Wednesday, August 01, 2007

The Pillow Fight

One of the things I have noticed over the years in For Better or For Worse is that when the Pattersons are the most affectionate with each other, the manifestation is pillow fights. It has been a recurring theme throughout the course of the strip. I find it interesting primarily because, although I like a good pillow fight, in my family, hugging is the more accepted form of affection.

The other interesting thing about Patterson pillow fights is that the combatants almost always end up exhausted and with things knocked off their body -- glasses, hair clips, and the like. They do not mess around. One of the things I have learned with pillow-fighting, especially with kids, it is very easy for someone to get hurt. My guess is that in a family where coffee cups and frozen vegetables can be launched at your head with little-to-no effect, a hard swing of a pillow is probably a minor thing.

Finally, I don't know any other strips which do pillow fighting. I think it is a unique characteristic of For Better or For Worse.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my family we're more likely to resort to food!

Where does the double bed come from? I don't recall seeing this furniture in April's old room. And why would a 16 year old need two pillows?

2:42 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Howtheduck, I've always found the Patterson pillow fights bizarre.

anon, April redid her room in the old house and bought new furniture from Ikea with her own money. Though I'm not sure whether this ever came out in the strips. She discussed it in the monthly letters.

I only see one pillow, but if she has two in other strips, it could be a symmetry thing.

3:59 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Aprilp_katje, Anonymous,

Judging from this strip, the bed is a double bed with 2 pillows.

April described her new IKEA purchases in this letter:

April's Letter, July 2006

Liz is going to take me to IKEA this weekend - I can't wait. I've been saving my money for some new furniture - I'm getting a desk, an armchair, some shelves and some lamps for my room.

April's Letter, August 2006

Oh, I almost forgot to mention it - I got my room redone! Liz took me to Ikea, and I got a bunch of new stuff. I bought a new desk, and I got a new bedspread, an area rug, curtains, a night table and some other junk like photo boxes and a lamp.

A new bed is not on the list. However, since Mike and Deanna took over April’s room after the fire, it is safe to assume April had at least a double bed in her room. If you look at this strip with Mike and Deanna in the bed, it does appear to be the same as the bed April and Eva sat on.

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you April and Howard for the clarification. My dirty mind was wondering why a teenager would need a double bed. Well, I feel so much better now!

My daughter tells me that she knows one young girl who has a queen-size bed, so I guess it's not as odd as it initially seemed to me.

7:09 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Anonymous,

Since my daughter is 9 years old, I know a number of little girls with bed sizes above that of single. Some of them even have bunk beds. They are great for little girl sleepovers.

In April's past, we saw April and Becky and more recently April and Eva hanging out on her bed. We haven't actually seen a sleepover (which is a shame when you think about it), but the possibility exists and is hinted at.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home